Saturday, July 6, 2013

Our First Foster Child

Little Miss entered our home on the first Tuesday in July. It was bittersweet getting to meet her. She was so cute and very shy. She did not talk to me until after her CW left the house and then I learned that she LOVES TO TALK! I had planned on taking her clothes shopping but learned when she arrived that she was completely taken care of in that department. She had clothes for every season! The only thing she did not have she informed me was “dressed for church, high heels, and lip stick”! So we ventured off to the store. 

Old Navy was a complete excitement for her! She absolutely loved the manikins because they are “oh so cute” and we had to buy the exact outfits the manikins were wearing. Little Miss walked around the story as if she owned the place and she was not one bit afraid to tell me “Now I am the leader and you just have to follow me”, little did I know this would be a trend she hoped would stick, it has not.

After Old Navy we went to “the store that has everything”, yet good old Wal-Mart. We did learn however they do NOT have everything as Little Miss was very upset that they did not have high heels in her size!

It was in the Lipstick isle that I learned Little Miss does NOT like being given choices, in fact they seem to throw her into overload. Me, in my social work, let them be independent, everyone get a choices, be your own person mindset, I gave Little Miss the choice of this lip stick or that one you pick. 15 minutes later I learned this was obviously not a good decision. This caused a 7 year old to sob and produce crocodile tears as she stated “I can’t pick one, I want them both!” Well this fight was sort lived but we left with the lip stick she happened to have in her hand. You would think that this would have taught me a lesson, but it didn’t! I walked her to the sunglass isle and did the same thing all over again, still not sure what I was thinking! LOL But we made it out of Wal-Mart alive, even though we did NOT have high heels.

The rest of the night was rather uneventful. We went home, she met Keenan, we ate dinner, watched The Lorax, and I put her to bed.

That night in bed I remember thinking to myself, “this is easy, sure I’m gonna be a little tired because she is a little hyper, but I don’t see any issues, she just needed a chance, she just needed us”.

What I was however not thinking about was how long the “honeymoon” period would last. 

No comments:

Post a Comment