Sunday, July 28, 2013

Life has been crazy here the past few weeks. 

We have been dealing with tantrums, doctors visits, daycare meltdowns, tantrums, nocturnal enuresis (potty training regression for those of us who are NOT in the medical field) high heel crisis, tantrums, and of course a little "foster" sibling rivalry/jealousy! Oh and did I mention TANTRUMS?!?

Well as you can tell lots have happened since I last posted.

One Thursday, July 18th, we received yet another call that would change our lives forever. YAP (our foster parent placement agency) called to ask if we would be considered for a 1 day old baby. We of course said yes, and then I had a minor panic attack about who would watch the baby while I was a work. 

Well, that ended up being null and void as we were NOT chosen to take the baby. 

We were however called minutes (30 to be exact) later and asked if we would consider placement for a 14 year old, who is pregnant. After asking all (i thought all) the right questions; when is she due, why is she being moved, does she want the baby, how is her attitude, is she doing prenatal care, I said we would think about this. 

I called my hubby and of course got the typically "I mean I'm fine with it babe, its really up to you, IDK how we will do with a teenager, but i don't want her in a group home" response. I said a little prayer, dealt with a tantrum. And packed up Little Miss to go to her appointment. The whole drive I kept thinking about being 14 and pregnant, away from my parents, and possibly in a group home. I had conversations in my head over and over again with God and it was as if he kept telling me, JUST DO IT, STOP ARGUING WITH ME AND SAY YES. Needless to say I had this strong sense that God really wanted us to say yes. I called YAP and said I would try it but that we would need all the info.

Well Ms. A has been in our home for a week and 2 days now and things are going great. She is a typically 14 year old, only pregnant. She is extremely mature and already loves her baby very much. We are still getting to know her but things are going great and we are again so thankful that we said yes to God's calling to not only step but to jump out of our comfort zone. 

Little Miss is S-L-O-W-L-Y adjusting to not being the only child. There has definitely been some rivalry in that me and A cannot be alone together, she either has to be with us or A has to be with her. 

The tantrums have been spiraling out of control (not because of A) but we are dealing with them one at a time and Little Miss is slowly learning that she may be stubborn but I an down right bull headed and I DO NOT give in. We are not sure why the tantrums are intensifying but feel it is due to more then one thing. My hubby had to go back to seconds, so Little Miss' nightly routine was changed, A joined our family so it is no longer solely all about Little Miss, and we has a scare where we thought Little Miss was going to be moved out of our home with little to no notice which she was told about (NOT BY US) and this played a large factor in her emotions. 

The one thing I have learned about Little Miss and her tantrums is that you MUST be persistent and consistent because she does not give up and she does not forget ANYTHING you say. I will admit, I've tried the whole, tell them one thing to get what you want then change the story. That absolutely does not work because she never forgets anything. With Little Miss you MUST say what you mean, mean what you say, and STICK TO IT. 

It has been a rough couple weeks but we are making it and I am so thankful that we have the love and support behind us. 

I cannot tell you how excited I am about taking the girls to my parents house at the end of this week to hang out for the week and meet my family. I know we are going to have a great time!! 

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to meet both of the girls - and to see my girl! As I read this post this morning - of course, as your mother - I had mixed emotions. I went from being sad that you are not closer, proud of you for what you do, curious/worried about the long term outcome for both girls (I know they would be lucky to stay with you forever - but where will they be if they don't...) - and I have to admit that a few times, I had a small giggle. Thinking about how you were "only having boys' and remembering how exhausting it can be with a strong headed - actually bull headed - girl. lol That's all I have to say about that! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cant wait to see you either!

    I think it is absolutely hularious that we were "only having boys" and now we have 2 girls and a third on the way!

    You think it was tough with a bull-headed child, try it with a bull headed child, a chatty teen, and a "my way or the highway" mamma!

    Love you too!

    ReplyDelete